Nov 6th -
Sorry but I am out of Mackerel. Thank You Richard
and serving a Cullen Skink !
make a Kedgeree with Richard's Haddie
This recipe is usually made with salt cod but it works very well using Finnan Haddie.
- (Serves 6 – 8 generously)
- 1 lb Finnan Haddie.
- 450ml milk.
- Sprig of fresh thyme.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 8 peppercorns.
- 450g floury potatoes, peeled and diced.
- 150ml cold-pressed rapeseed or mild olive oil.
- 3 garlic cloves.
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers.
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives.
- extra oil, for drizzling.
- freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the smoked haddock in a pan with the milk, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns
- Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and allow to cool in the liquid.
- Next, simmer potatoes for about 20 minuites until completely tender then strain and
- mash well. Keep warm.
- Strain the milk from the haddock and reserve.
- Break up the haddock into flakes and put in a food processor.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and cook for a minute, but don’t let the garlic brown.
- Turn on the processor and slowly add the oil in a steady stream until all used up.
- Scrape into a bowl and beat in the capers, chives and parsley, then the potato and enough of reserved milk to give a soft creamy consistency. Seasonal well.
- Pile into a dish and drizzle with extra oil before serving.