Mother's Day --- On May 12th this year!
All orders include a handmade Mother's Day card with your personalized message.
Ship on May 6th, 7th or 8th. Order early!
Thank you for visiting, Richard
Click to watch Richard Smoking haddock !
This is my all time favorite smoked haddock sauce recipe. It really is just pure cozy comfort food that never fails
to delight and is really easy to prepare. My three boys absolutely love it!
- (serves 4)
- 1 lb Finnan Haddie.
- 2 3/4 cups of milk.
- 2-oz butter.
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour.
- 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- 1 tsp Coleman’s English mustard powder.
- 1 tsp ground black pepper.
- 1 very small pinch cayenne pepper.
- 1 medium leeks diced.
- Keep the haddock filets in the large chunks with the skin on. Cover with the milk in a pan and bring up to a gentle simmer for four minutes. Remove pan from heat and let it sit another two minutes — Six minutes total — Pour milk into a jug.
- After cooling, remove haddock from skin, keep in large flakes. Make a white sauce with the flour, 1-oz butter and smoky flavored milk. Keep a third of the milk back.
- Add turmeric, English mustard powder, small pinch chili powder (just enough to ‘pick up’ the flavor but not enough to add heat) & pepper.
- Sauté leek in 1-oz butter & add to the sauce. Add the haddock flakes including any juice that has accumulated. Stir, bringing up heat. Thin a little with remaining milk to desired thickness. Gently heat to serve.
This sauce is very versatile. It is very good served with new potatoes or mashed potatoes and peas. Also excellent over pasta – here it is served with home grown red Russian kale and fresh dug new potatoes. This Finnan Haddie sauce can also be used in a fish pie or served with a baked potato and is perfect with a fried egg for breakfast too, Enjoy…we do!!